AMF has several magnetic Latches kits that are suitable for a range of gates and doors and the kits contain all the components required for installation. The magnet is housed in a steel casing that shields and prevents the impact of closure damaging the magnet. These kits are also suitable for doorstops, to prevent doors, gates and shutters from blowing open or closed when undesired.
In addition to the various styles of latch kits available, many of our customers contact us for advice on creating a customised solution. It is difficult for our team to give individual advice due to the many variables at play in each application. Below are a number of factors to be considered when developing a custom magnetic door or gate solution:
- Air gap - any air gap (or other material) present between the magnet and the surface it is magnetically adhering to (steel or second magnet) greatly diminishes the strength of the magnet. For the best outcome ensure there is close contact between the magnet and respective ferrous surface.
- Impact on magnet - magnets are brittle in nature. If the door is going to make forceful contact with the corresponding surface it may cause the magnet to be damaged. Recessing the magnet into the door or frame is one solution to this issue. Alternatively pot magnets are a suitable magnet able to withstand some impact.
- Space available in frame/door to recess the magnet - recessing the magnet into the door or frame can make for a professional finish however it is important to weigh up the options based on the depth of space available versus the pull force required.
- Coatings - we do have a limited range of magnets with coating such as Teflon, Gold, Epoxy and Plastic that provide some resistance to general humidity and moisture. It should be noted that additional coatings of any kind have a negative impact on the strength of a magnet because of the gap they create between the two bonding surfaces.
- Your project will likely require some trial and error. We have a 30 day returns policy and unused products can be returned for a full refund.