Home - Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ & Knowledge Base

Your Cart (0)
You're $3.03 away from free shipping!
Home - Frequently Asked Questions - Technical Information - Samarium Cobalt Magnets Typical Magnetic Properties

Samarium Cobalt Magnets Typical Magnetic Properties

Typical Magnetic Properties for Samarium Cobalt Magnets

Neodymium magnets and Samarium Cobalt magnets are both part of the Rare Earth family of magnets. Although Samarium Cobalt magnets may be weaker than their more glamorous cousins, Neodymium magnets, they do have their advantages. They remain magnetically effective in a broad range of temperatures as well as being far more resistant to corrosion than their Neo magnet cousins.

Like Neodymium magnets, they are able to perform in very cold conditions. However, a standard grade of Neodymium begins to lose magnetic strength from 80 degrees celsius, much lower than the 250 degree upper operating temperature of a Samarium Cobalt magnet.

Samarium Cobalt magnets are a relatively expensive type of magnet. This is due to the cost of producing Cobalt which forms approximately 60% of the alloy. The remaining 40% is predominantly Samarium however they generally include small amounts of copper and iron along with a few other elements.

The information included in this table is highly technical in nature and the language used is magnet specific. To assist customers is understanding the relative information we have put together a basic glossary of terms below. Please note that any information outline here is indicative of the standard measurements related to that grade of Samarium Cobalt. If you are looking for information that is specific to an individual product, please refer to the product page for the product in question.

Glossary of terms:

Remanence refers to the process of the magnet becoming magnetised. A magnet is in effect a magnetic storage device. The magnet stores the remanence of the magnetic field it was exposed to in the manufacturing process.

Coercivity is the measure of the magnet’s ability to withstand an external magnetic field. The measurement indicates the magnets ability to withstand the magnetic field without becoming demagnetised.

Intrinsic Coercivity is similar to Coercivity however this measurement expresses the magnets ability to withstand an external magnet causing permanent demagnetisation.

The Maximum Energy Product of a magnet is an indicator for the magnet’s strength. Simply understood as the option to use a small magnet with a higher energy product measurement or to use a larger magnet with a lower energy production.